The delicate skin on your lips is highly susceptible to sun damage, and it can cause your lips to become thin and wrinkled as you age.
About Plump Lips:
- Lips often make a valuable first impression, and so many people are attracted to a full and soft mouth. Millions of dollars on a yearly basis are spent on lip products, enhancers, and glosses to provide the illusion of a plumper and fuller mouth. So many people associate a beautiful and healthy smile with soft and full lips.
- The appearance of the lips has much to do with genetics, but age can also start to take its toll to cause the lips to become thin and damaged. Lips are one of the first areas in the complexion to begin to age, and they are highly delicate and susceptible to sun damage.
- Facial expressions also play a role in the appearance of your lips. When you frown, smile, or pucker your lips, you contract your facial muscles repeatedly to create expression lines. Drinking from straws and smoking can also cause the lips to move in a repeated motion to create small wrinkles around the lips.
What Can You Do?
- Protect your lips with a lip balm that contains sunscreen. It is also important to moisturize your lips with a hydrating product to prevent excessive dryness and collagen loss.
- Consider your facial expressions. If you frown or pucker your lips unconsciously, that will continue to create deep wrinkles around your mouth.
- Create an illusion of plump lips. If you use a natural lip liner that matches your skin tone, it will help your lips to appear larger when applying your makeup. You can also apply clear gloss to the center of your bottom lip to reflect light and make it appear fuller.
What to Avoid:
- Smoking! We are all well aware that smoking is bad for your health, but it especially causes damage to the area around your mouth. Smokers have much deeper lines and wrinkles surrounding their lips than those who do not smoke.
- Drinking from a straw. This repeated puckering will cause fine lines around the lips.
- Matte, dark lipstick. Lips look fuller and softer with a lighter and glossier lip color. Dark lip colors reflect light and make the lips appear smaller.
How to Look Your Best:
- Fillers: These are professional non-surgical injectables that will plump and smooth the complexion to fill fine lines and wrinkles. These fillers will instantly create full and smooth lips, and results will last for 3 to 6 months.