An uneven skin tone is characterized by dark spots of hyperpigmentation, redness, flaking, enlarged pores, acne, or a dull complexion. These are symptoms that many women often battle with based on heredity.
About Uneven Skin:
- One of the main causes of uneven skin is excess oil production. Oily skin often produces too little sebum, which creates imbalance in the skin. This means that dead skin cells will accumulate on the surface of the skin more than normal to cause uneven patches and enlarged pores.
- Pore size is hereditary, but they can often appear larger because they are clogged with excess oil or due to sun damage.
- Cellular turnover slows down with age, which can cause a buildup of dead skin in the complexion to create a dull skin tone.
- Melanin is the substance that gives pigment to skin cells, and cells will often produce less melanin in some areas to create an uneven appearance. Other cells may contain more melanin due to sun exposure so that they become darker with hyperpigmentation. The skin must be exfoliated well to remove these dark patches and retain an even skin tone.
What Can You Do?
- Exfoliate with glycolic, salicylic, and lactic acid to gently remove dead skin cells from the complexion and smooth the texture of the skin.
- Protect your skin with a broad spectrum sunblock of a minimum SPF of 30 that contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
What to Avoid:
- Unprotected sun exposure. The sun is at its worst in the late morning and early afternoon from 11 AM to 3 PM.
- Aggressive facial care products. Skin care products that make the skin too oily or too dry will cause flakiness or excess oil production so that the pores appear larger than normal.
How to Look Your Best:
- Skin Rejuvenation: Light energy is absorbed by the damaged tissue, and collagen production is stimulated, reducing the accumulation of hyperpigmentation.
- Chemical Peel: A series of treatments exfoliates the skin and promotes cellular turnover that slows down the aging process.
- Microdermabrasion: Vigorous, medical-grade exfoliation removes the buildup of dead surface skin cells and improves the texture and evenness of the skin tone.
- FractionalRx: A series of treatments significantly reduces fine lines and wrinkles, as well as an enlarged pore size.